Saturday 13 August 2016

Hermione's bookcase -- Harry Potter QAL



It's been almost two weeks since the first two blocks of this quilt along were released, but I am finally making some progress! Just in time for the next two blocks to be released! :)

The QAL is being run by Soma at Whims and Fancies, the details can be found here, for anyone interested.

First up on my cutting board is Hermione's bookcase.


Image from Whims and Fancies

I am pulling all the fabrics from my stash for this one. With all the pieces cut up in a neat pile there seemed rather a lot!



This is a large block at 24" x 12". Although some pieces are quite small. That pretty little moon is only 3.5" square and made up of 31 pieces !!





The pattern has 4 pictures on the doors, and that moon is one of them. The pattern suggests fussy cutting pieces of fabric for these space. But when I saw Soma's block with the moon, hat, star and vile I just knew my collection of fabrics was not going to provide me with anything close to those.

Soma so very kindly provided some extra patterns for these pieces. And I am so thankful and touched by her generosity, they are excellent and make the block perfect.

And the final block does not disappoint! Here it is.





Next up is Hedwig, but I'm not sure I'll get that one finished before the next two blocks are released later this month. Because, see all those totes sitting there in my messy sewing room, they need filling!




We are moving house on September 1st , just 5 days before the kids start the new school year! Not perfect timing, and certainly not of our choosing! The joy of renting.

Off to prep Hedwig in the hope I can finish him before the move, good to have a deadline. 

Happy sewing!


1 comment:

  1. You did such a great job with those tiny blocks. I love your bookcase! I am so sorry to hear that you have to move and within such a short time too. Wishing you a smooth move. You will be all settled at your new place before you know it.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete