Wednesday 26 August 2015

Charm Packs

There are just so many adorable fabric collections around! But without the space to store, the time to use and certainly not the cash to buy complete sets I often opt for a charm pack. So I have a shelf of charm packs that I find hard to use - saving for something special! Ha! So I decided last week I was going to use one.

So my challenge was to use a charm pack and just add some kona white, since that's usually one of the only fabrics I have more than a fat quarter of in my stash! 
This is my latest favourite V and Co's Simply Colorful! I love them all! Just look at those adorable oranges, reds and yellows! 




There are only 30 different fabrics in the range but there are 42 squares, so there are a few duplicates. Because of this I decided to make some pinwheels by simply combining 2 different fabrics. Before long I had a small collection:



The selection of duplicate prints determined the amount of pinwheels I could make and the colours. I ended up with just 2 yellow, 4 orange and 3 red. But several charms remained so I added some smaller pinwheels and simple squares to make a block 12" x 10" (yellow and red) and 10" x 8" (orange).




I continued until every single charm was used and not a scrap of coloured fabric was left. No waste at all!! Yay! It's not a particularly useful size at 41" x 39". I guess I could have added larger borders. The final quilt top looks like this. 





I am now longing more yardage of many of these prints. They are so lovely, colourful and happy! And lets not even mention the impending arrival of the second collection - Simpy Colorful II in blue, purple, and green! I really might need some yardage of those! And have you seen the Ombre collection to be released early next year? That really is a must!!

Anyway, for now my top is done. Now back to some of the other things that I should be focusing on rather than starting something new!


6 comments:

  1. You simply can't have enough Kona white. I love the way this quilt turned out. Your use of colour is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those colours and such pretty blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the charm pack inspiration. I have a few that I'm not sure what to do with, and I love pinwheels, so maybe I'll give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy is just the right word for these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever way to use the entire charm pack. The size variations are a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is AWESOME! I love it. I have a bunch of charm packs sitting on my shelf too. I should probably follow your example....

    ReplyDelete